Beyond Pay-As-You-Go Insurance: Saving Money on Transportation Costs
By now you know that a Pay-As-You-Go insurance program, such as National General Insurance's Low-Mileage Discount, is a great way to cut costs. In fact, eligible active OnStar subscribers could save up to 54 percent* on auto insurance with National General Insurance's Pay-As-You-Go insurance program, the Low-Mileage Discount. But an insurance discount is just the beginning on saving on transportation costs:
- Maintain your vehicle. Keeping up with your vehicle's maintenance, such as tuning your engine can significantly reduce the cost of future repairs. And if you do the maintenance yourself, like changing your oil, you can save even more.
- Clean out your car. If you remove excess clutter from your vehicle, you can increase your vehicle's miles per gallon by reducing its weight.
- Easy on the gas pedal. Easing off the gas pedal and avoiding jerky lane changes and quick starts can increase your vehicle's gas mileage and can save you up to $400 per year, according to Kiplinger's Personal Finance.
- Plan your trips. If you can consolidate all the errands you need to run into one trip you can significantly reduce the amount of time spent on the road and the amount of gas you use.
- Join a Pay-As-You-Go insurance program. Consider joining a Pay-As-You-Go insurance program like the National General Insurance Low-Mileage Discount and receive a substantial insurance discount on your auto insurance premium.
- Check out insurance rates before you buy. Different models have different rates, so research different insurers and find out about special discounts, such as Pay-As-You-Go insurance and concierge-style services.
- Wash your own car. Having your car professionally washed can add up fast. By washing it yourself you can save as much as $30 a month.
- Cut your commute. Kiplinger's Personal Finance reports that telecommuting, taking public transportation or carpooling once a week saves up to $200 a year and can help you become eligible for a Pay-As-You-Go insurance program for additional savings.
The National General Insurance Low-Mileage Discount uses state-of-the-art OnStar® technology to help drivers save up to 54 percent on their auto insurance. Learn More
Nearly two-thirds of Californian households would receive an insurance discount under pay-as-you-drive insurance with an average savings of $276 per vehicle per year.
-Environmental Defense Fund Learn More
OnStar® customers can save big on their auto insurance when they enroll in the Low-Mileage Discount. Learn More
Save on Gas with our Commuter Calculator
If you drive less, calculate your savings with ourCommuter Calculator
Drive Less, Save More!
Save on Auto Insurance with National General Insurance Low Mileage Discounts offered exclusively to OnStar SubscribersLearn More
It's free. And it only takes a few minutes.
to preferred customer code ON-6F.